Remote working has become quite popular because of its convenience. It offers a lot of flexibility to workers. As a result, the productivity of employees automatically increases. Moreover, the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic has made even employers respect remote working. This article mentions the ten best US cities for remote workers as well as some of the worst cities for remote workers. The universality of remote working makes it suitable for every industry. However, some cities are more favorable than others for remote workers. Family-friendly and cost-effective locations are often preferred more by remote workers. Moreover, accessibility to restaurants and other locations in the city may be another major reason impacting the location preference of remote workers. Some of the major reasons that make a city favorable for remote workers have been discussed below. Dig deeper without any further delay and know what conditions make a place more favorable for remote workers.
Best Cities for Remote Work – 6 Factors for Remote Workers To Consider
1. Remote job AvailabilityOne of the major reasons in favor of the best cities for remote workers is undoubtedly the availability of remote jobs. After the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic, remote jobs were available all across the nation. But state laws, business needs, and tax requirements affect the availability of remote jobs in different cities. Any remote worker will look forward to settling in a city that offers a variety of options in terms of remote working.
2. High-Speed Internet CoverageDo you know what’s one of the most important prerequisites for remote working? It’s high-speed internet coverage for obvious reasons. Therefore, one of the most important factors that make a city favorable for remote working is good internet connectivity. Internet coverage, infrastructure, and competition vary across the different American cities. The pricing of internet connection should also be taken into consideration. In some states, an internet connection can be quite expensive. However, if the speed is not good, it’s not worthwhile to spend so much money on it. Washington DC has pretty good internet coverage out of all the American states.
3. TaxesRemote workers often calculate taxes while making a list of the best cities for remote workers. This is a vital factor, especially for people who are self-employed and have to pay their own taxes. Apart from paying income taxes, remote workers also need to think about property taxes and sales taxes. The lower the tax burden of a state, the more preferable it becomes for remote workers. New York has the highest tax burden among all the American states. On the other hand, the tax burden in states like Alaska, Tennessee, and Delaware is quite low.
4. AccommodationAre you planning to shift to a particular state to get better remote working opportunities? If yes, you must consider knowing about your accommodation options in the space. While it might not be difficult to find an empty apartment, it might be difficult to find one that you can afford. Before you finalize your decision to shift, think about the rent you have to pay. Fort Wayne and Buffalo are two of the cheapest cities when it comes to paying rents.
5. Cost of LivingApart from paying rent, you will have a lot of other expenses. So, what are some of the typical other expenses that you will have to cover? Buying groceries and other utilities will be one of your major expenses. Transportation costs also need to be considered. Even though you might not have to travel for work purposes, you will have to go to other places. Healthcare and other miscellaneous expenses also need to be considered while trying to choose the most favorable US city for remote working.
6. Best for BusinessAlways try to settle in a state that is good for a business to thrive. The cities within the state will have better opportunities in recruiting motivated and innovative workers. A few factors that provide favorable business opportunities include the cost of doing business, local economy, access to capital, and availability of skilled labor and infrastructure.
List of top 10 best cities for hiring remote workers that every US Companies should know
1. SYRACUSE, NEW YORKHave you heard anyone talk about Syracuse and add a weather joke? Yes, snow is an integral part of this central New York city. But the affordability of lifestyle in this city is quite surprising. Young professionals move to this city because of low costs as well as the plenty of activities they can do here. If you can bear with a little snow, you can consider this one of the best US cities for remote workers. Available remote working opportunities:
- Telecommute Marketing Project Manager
- Remote Telephonic Nurse Care Manager
- Virtual Healthcare Customer Service Representative
- Telecommute DevOps Engineer
- Remote Engagement Manager
2. SOUTH BEND, INDIANASouth Bend boasts of noticeably low costs of living and other amenities. Young professionals are gradually moving to the city because of the affordable housing costs. New apartments and condos are coming up in this city. Quite naturally,remote workers choose this city and South Bend is undeniably one of the best cities when it comes to job opportunities and quality of life. As an employer, it would be beneficial for you to set up a business here, as you would be at a profitable spot when it comes to getting human resources. Available remote working opportunities:
- Remote Strategy and Innovation Manager
- Telecommute Software Development Test Engineer
- Remote Advertising Technology Director
- Remote Travel and Finance Quality Assistant
- Telecommute Inbound Contact Representative
3. FORT WAYNE, INDIANAThe unexpectedly low cost of living in Fort Wayne makes it preferable for remote workers. On the flip side, employers would have the opportunity to get decent resources at a lower package than what they had to pay initially. That would surely be a win-win situation for them. Available remote working opportunities:
- Remote RN Case Manager
- Remote Financial Controller
- Remote Enterprise Software Developer
- Telecommute Inpatient Coding Specialist
4. BUFFALO, NEW YORKThe increasing number of businesses in the city makes it preferable for remote workers. The advanced medical industry in the city also creates room for job opportunities in the health sector. The affordable cost of living is largely due to low rents. Besides, the city has a certain warmth associated with it. Available remote working opportunities:
- Remote Behavioral Health Advocate
- Remote Banking Senior Service Officer
- Remote School Speech Language Pathologist
- Remote Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner
- Telecommute Customer Service Representative
5. PEORIA, ILLINOISPeoria offers endless opportunities when it comes to low-cost living. An entrepreneur, who is planning to set up his business here would gain a lot in terms of monetary returns. Moreover, resources for the following job roles are easily available.
- Remote Principal Software Engineer
- Remote Operations Process Manager
- Remote Motherhood Customer Experience Specialist
- Remote Healthcare IT Project Manager
- Remote OnCall Registered Nurse RN
6. KALAMAZOO, MICHIGANThe cost of living in this city makes it one of the best US cities for remote workers. The median housing rate falls lower than the national average. Income and job opportunities in the city are on the higher side. Moreover, you won’t be burdened too much with taxes in this city. If you are looking to settle in a quirky and fun city, Kalamazoo is your answer. You will not run out of entertainment options in this city. Community events are a regular affair in this city. Available remote working opportunities:
- Remote School Special Education Teacher
- Remote Business Intelligence Lead
- Telecommute Senior Workday Solution Architect
- Virtual Workforce Management Professional
- Remote Inside Sales Representative
7. PITTSBURGH, PENNSYLVANIAThe rise of job opportunities in the city has led many people to migrate here. The closing of the steel industry has cleaned the air in the city. You will see a rise in the number of green spaces in Pittsburgh. The residents of this city largely consist of graduates and families. They show a strong sense of community. The blue-collar reputation of the city is slowly tearing down. But the quality of life keeps improving in this city. Available remote working opportunities:
- Telecommute Infectious Diseases OP Nurse Coordinator I
- Remote Implementation Consultant
- Telecommute Full Stack Developer
- Remote Interface Analyst
- Virtual Certified German Teacher
8. MOLINE/ROCK ISLAND, ILLINOISOnce again, the low cost of living meets great job opportunities. Even though the taxes are a little on the higher side, you can find a good place to live at decent rates. Available remote working opportunities:
- Virtual Credit Coordinator
- Telecommute Cloud Ops Engineer
- Remote K-12 School Psychologist
- Remote Program Administrator
- Remote Senior Clinical Budget Analyst
9. GRAND RAPIDS, MICHIGANThe cost of living in this city is pretty affordable and a lot lower than that of other metro cities. Housing costs in this city are lower than the national median. The job market is also flourishing. Midwest friendliness is not a myth in this city. Despite being one of the largest metro cities in Michigan, the city spreads small-town warmth. If you are thinking about moving to Grand Rapids for remote work, you are going in the right direction. Available remote working opportunities:
- Telecommute Student Career Coach
- Remote Assessment Curriculum Developer
- Virtual Certified Music Teacher
- Telecommute Senior Recruiter
- Remote UX Writer
10. HICKORY, NORTH CAROLINAThis city is one of the cheapest places to live in the US. You can easily find an affordable place for yourself at a low rent. The moderate climate in this city is accompanied by spectacular mountain views. Therefore, you can explore the beautiful views in the city with all the flexibility of remote working. The number of families moving to the city for the purpose of work is increasing every day. Available remote working opportunities:
- Remote Digital Marketing Coordinator
- Telecommute Quality Assurance Architect
- Remote Software Applications Engineer
- Remote Senior Fraud Investigator
- Virtual Bilingual Spanish Medical Scribe Trainer
10 Worst Cities for Hiring Remote Workers
- Boston, MA
- Oxinut, Calif
- San Bernardino, Calif
- Elk Grove, Calif.
- Ontario, Calif.
- Lexington, Ky.
- Anchorage, Alaska
- Bakersfield, Calif.
- Moreno Valley, Calif.
- Honolulu, Hawaii